Thursday, July 3, 2014

Confetti Canvas Art

So I needed some art to go above my bed and I’d been trying to find the right piece or project for a while now.  I decided I would do a version of this Confetti Art that’s been going around Pinterest for a while.  I wanted to paint my canvases, and I thought about doing a gray background with colored dots, but it was proving hard to find matching shiny paper and glitter paper in the shades I wanted, so instead I decided to paint the canvases and use silver dots.  I think it turned out pretty cool:



So you know how I was proud of myself for spending under $20 on my Clothespin Wreath?  Well, not so lucky this time.  My first trip to Hobby Lobby set me back about $40 and then I had to run back for more paint later.  Canvases, paint, and the hole punch were to blame for most of the cost.  I purchased 16 x 20 canvases because they come in those discount 2-packs for even less than the cost of one regular canvas, even though I thought the size may be too big.  Once I got them up though, I think the size worked out just fine.  



I used a 2-inch hole punch for the circles. (Hobby Lobby has almost any size circle punch you can think of.)  They were all out of regular silver glitter paper, but they had a chunkier glitter paper that I thought looked even cooler.  However, when I got home and tried punching it, there were problems.  Honestly, I’m surprised the punch didn’t break because it got stuck on pretty much every turn with the chunky glitter paper.  The problem wasn’t the thickness, it was that glitter was jamming it up.  I had to clean it out after every punch.  So, for that reason I would not recommend the chunky glitter paper, although it looks stylish.  Before I had even painted anything I had laid out the circles to decide how may I would need per canvas.  I decide on 12 metallic and 10 glitter per canvas.  



The worst part was getting the paint color right.  I first purchased 2 acrylic paints in teal and orchid that I thought were perfect as they looked in the tube.  Well, the orchid was okay, but the teal dried way darker and greener than anticipated.  I went back for a lighter, bluer shade, but then that was too light.  In the end I had just enough paint left to mix up a shade I hoped would work, and it was good enough.  But man, it was a pain.  



When everything was painted and I was (finally) satisfied with the colors I started placing the circles.  I spent forever trying to get them to look even but random.  When I was done, I glued them to the canvas with Mod Podge one at a time.  I know a lot of people have been using spray adhesive, and that’s probably better.  The Mod Podge worked okay, but the edges of some of the circles are curling up, and I might have to re-glue some of them some day.



And then, tah-dah, they were ready to hang!  I didn’t spray any type of over-coat or seal on the finished product; however, the glitter does flake off, so if I start waking up with glitter on my face, I might have to do that later.  I like how they match my flowers on the corresponding wall:



Kitty-approved.  Another summer project complete!



1 comment: