Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Button Ornaments

'Tis the season.  So I've decided to start by posting about my most recent project - which is actually very simple and easy.  Ornaments made from buttons!


I've been seeing a bunch of cool button ornaments on Pinterest (marthastewart.com seemed to be the origin of many of these), and since it seemed so easy I decided to make some myself.  I figured it would also be a cheap project, but actually, buttons cost more than I expected.  I dropped about $25 at Jo-Ann's and I ended up being able to make 5 large ornaments (2 snowmen, 2 large trees, and 1 santa) and a few more smaller tree ornaments.  I bought string, orange felt (for snowman noses), star beads for the trees ($3.99), two large bags of buttons, one red & green, one black & white ($5.99 each, but I had a 50% off coupon for one), a some other random buttons, including extra green ones.  I also busted out my sewing kit with all my own extra buttons.  I ended up with this:


I started making trees with different color stars:


Then I made a snowman, which turned out very cute.  I made an orange triangle with felt and poked a hole in it for the nose:


And just because I had extra red buttons, I decided to make a santa.  Here's all three of the larger ornaments I made:


I gave some to my mom and she thinks I should make them for all my relatives.  They are really very easy to put together, so I just might.

No comments:

Post a Comment