Friday, November 30, 2012

Pico De Gallo & Bean Enchiladas

In case you can't tell, I LOVE mexican food!  And my favorite thing to make are these enchiladas, which are vegetarian, and filled with refried beans and homemade pico de gallo.  Doesn't this look amazing?



First, I could do a whole entry on making pico de gallo, but I don't have a picture if just that, so I won't.  It's super easy though, and you should always do your own.  I make the pico, then save a little to mash avocados in and - bam - perfect guacamole.  For the pico, you need:

2-3 tomatoes
A red onion
Fresh cilantro
A jalapeno
Fresh lime juice
Salt

You really just chop up the tomatoes, onion, and jalapeno in a proportion you like, and add everything else to taste.  So easy!  So good!  It's also an absolutely perfect guacamole base.  So, you're making two things at once.

I suggest refrigerating the pico at least overnight before you eat it or use it in these enchiladas, as it gets better as the flavors mingle.

For the enchiladas, you need:

Pico De Gallo
Soft Corn Tortillas
1 Can of Your Favorite Refried Beans
2 Cans Enchiladas Sauce
2 cups Cheese
Avocado (Optional - Mash with extra Pico for gauc)
Sour Cream (Optional)

These are my favorite beans to use:



I put the beans in the tortillas, then the pico, and about half the cheese.  Then I roll them up:



Top with sauce and the rest of the cheese, and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes:


This obviously isn't a fancy recipe where I make everything from scratch, but it's a fantastic combination that's quick and easy.  It's also a great vegetarian alternative to "cheese and onion" enchiladas (boring).  I like to serve them with rice and a Corona!

No comments:

Post a Comment