Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Turkey Tetrazzini

So, even though I usually don't eat (let alone cook with) meat, Thanksgiving just having passed, I found myself with turkey on hand.  Not having a go-to turkey recipe, I thought back to high school, when I worked in the kitchen at a nursing home.  Most of the food there was what you would expect from a nursing home cafeteria, but sometimes some stuff was really good.  One of those good things was turkey tetrazzini.  I set out to create the dish just a couple days ago, combining tips and tricks from several different recipes, and I must say, the end result was fantastic!

Now, Turkey Tetrazzini is not a pretty thing.  So excuse the not-so-great picture.  It looks good to me, but that's because I know what it tastes like:


Ingredients:

3 tbsp butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 cup flour
1/8-1/4 cup white wine
1 cup chicken stock
3/4 cup milk
6 oz cooked pasta
1 cup diced cooked turkey
salt to taste
cheddar cheese
bread crumbs

Cook the onions, pepper, and garlic in the butter in a skillet.  Once soft, add the mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes.  Add the flour, mixing until you have a roux.  Add the wine, stock, milk, and pepper, bring it to a boil, and stir until it starts to thicken up.  Simmer 15 minutes.  Add the pasta and turkey and salt to taste.  Add to a greased casserole dish and mix in about 1/4 cup cheddar.  Top with more cheddar and breadcrumbs.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 40 minutes covered, then remove cover and cook 10 minutes more to brown.

Happy leftovering!

No comments:

Post a Comment