Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Chili Two Ways (Vegetarian or with Turkey)

Everyone thinks they have the best chili, right?  So I'm not going to claim that.  However, I am going to claim that my chili is way way way good.  And I'm also going to claim that any beef lovers out there would have no idea this chili has ground turkey in it instead of beef if you didn't tell them.  (In fact, I haven't always told, and when I do, people are shocked.)


Though the original recipe was designed around ground turkey, when I became (mostly) vegetarian a couple years ago I started making a vegetarian 3-bean chili version, which is also amazing.  All you have to do is add a third kind of bean, like black beans, instead of the turkey.  

The thing about this chili is that is tastes fresh and spicy and flavorful.  In addition, it only has 260 calories per serving!  What?!  That's insane.  I dare you to make it.  Really.


Bren’s Turkey Chili

1 pkg ground turkey (or add a third bean, like black beans)
1 cup onion
½ jalapeno (optional)
1 cup green pepper
2 cloves garlic
½ tsp olive oil
1 28 oz can crushed tomato
1 14.5 oz kidney beans – drained and rinsed
1 14.5 oz can spicy pinto chili beans

(All spice can be adjusted to taste, start with these and add more as necessary.)
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cyanine pepper
1 ½ tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
dash of oregano
dash of pepper

Cook green pepper, jalapeno, onion, and garlic cloves in oil for 5-10 minutes.  Add turkey and cook until the pink is gone.  Then, add everything else and simmer for at least 45 minutes to an hour.

Top with fresh onion to serve.  Makes 8 servings.


No comments:

Post a Comment